Since 2008 Dr Coker has been employed full time as a researcher and teaching academic at the University of Melbourne. His role at University involves researching and publishing new knowledge in the field of Marketing, mostly in the area of consumer behavior. He teaches mostly Digital Business and Marketing subjects to undergraduate and postgraduate students, though has also taught subjects including business-to-business marketing, brand management, and channel marketing.
His research focusses specifically on consumer behavior (His PhD thesis was titled: “Predicating Internet Purchasing Intention”). Dr Coker’s knowledge and area of expertise is somewhat unique since his training transcends the fields of marketing and technology. During his PhD training, one of his supervisors was from the field of marketing, while his other supervisor was from the field of information systems.
Dr Coker founded the dot-com “Fernland” in 1998, and is currently founding director of Deloosh Pty Ltd – a technology and market research company. He is also inventor of the web analytics tool “Webreep” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webreep_Model) which was the first web app to detect and measure website dissatisfaction.
Dr Coker was awarded the prestigious “Best Entrepreneurial Educator of The Year” by the Business and Higher Education Round Table in 2012 (presented by Sen. Hon Chris Evans—National Award), and from 2012-2013 wrote a monthly column for Business Solutions magazine. His more scholarly research has been published in high impact international peer reviewed academic journals including: The Journal of Retailing, European Journal of Marketing, and the Journal of Economic Psychology.
He has consulted to several companies on the topic of consumer behavior and technology including Qantas, IBM, and Oticon to name a few. He has been researching and consulting on consumer behavior and how consumers make purchasing decisions and digital business full-time since 2003.
Expert Testimony, Deposition Work, Affidavit and Report Writing, Conclave and Other
Dr Coker (University of Melbourne) has provided expert testimony as an expert witness in a variety of matters for firms including King & Wood Mallesons, Gilbert & Tobin, Allens Linklaters and Phillips Ormonde and Fitzpatrick to name a few. Although Dr Coker has mostly been engaged in larger court cases, he also has experience with smaller matters.
Dr Coker prepares reports to guide decision making in the courts based on scientific findings published in academic peer reviewed journals, and other third party relevant research. Any opinions expressed by Dr Coker are supported by peer reviewed academic research, established academic theory, industry standards, and other relevant logical evidence.
- Branding and advertising
- E-commerce, internet, and digital business models
- Online consumer behaviour and perception psychology
- Online branding, including brand crisis and equity damage
- Consumer psychology and marketing perception
- Internet history
- Mobile apps and mobile business model development and deployment
- Digital marketing practice, including black hat, spam, hacking, and advertising
- Software and SAAS design (information systems and architecture)
- UI Design, colour theory, Search Engine results interpretation
- SEO, SEM, and Digital Advertising Practice
LITIGATION HISTORY (ABRIDGED).
Selected matters Dr Coker has been engaged in to provide expert opinion (reports and/or affidavits) are listed below. Of these, five of them went to trial. Dr Coker has prepared reports for both applicants (plaintiffs) and respondents (defendants).
- REA Group Ltd & Anor v Real Estate 1 Ltd & Ors. Australian Federal Court Proceeding No. VID 900.
Legal firm: King & Wood Mallesons (Applicant/Plaintiff)
- Australian Copyright Tribunal Proceeding CT 3: Phonographic Performance Company of Australia v Commercial Radio Australia. Legal firm: Gilbert & Tobin (Applicant/Plaintiff).
Legal firm: Gilbert & Tobin
- Emily Skye Fit Pty Ltd v Evans. Brisbane supreme court proceeding No. BS6843. Legal firm: Radcliff Taylor (Applicant/Plaintiff).
- Globus Investments Pty Ltd v Wiliam Pty Ltd & Anor. District Court Proceeding No. 196787.
Legal firm: Colin Biggers & Paisley (Applicant/Plaintiff).
- Sensis Pty Ltd v Senses Direct Mail and Fulfilment Pty. Australian Federal Court Proceeding VID779.
Legal firm: Silberstein & Associates (Applicant/Plaintiff).
- The Pokémon company international Inc. v Redbubble ltd. Australian Federal Court Proceeding No. VID313.
Legal firm: Allens Linklaters (Respondent/Defendant).
- Bed Bath ‘n’ Table Pty ltd. V Bed Bath & Beyond, Inc. Australian Federal Court Proceeding VID 1372.
- Legal firm: Phillips Ormonde and Fitzpatrick (Applicant/Plaintiff).
- Semi Trailer Sales Pty Ltd v VACC County Court of Victoria. Proceeding No. CI-16-05831.
Legal firm: William Abbott (Applicant/Plaintiff).